Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Career Practioner's Perspective: My Personal Experience with Unemployment

MY UNEMPLOYMENT STORY:

I had never been unemployed from the time I could actually work legally. I got my first real job when I was 15 as a courtesy clerk in a grocery store. I worked steadily through my 20s, 30s and half way through my 40s without any disruption in my employment. I went back to college several times, changed my profession three times and never worried about finding a job or making a livable wage. I took a job working overseas and when I came back to the U.S. in 2006, the reality of unemployment hit me smack in the face. For the first time- I was unsure about my direction and future prospects.

I applied for dozens of jobs. Some of them were completely inappropriate for my skills and education, but I was desperate.


GRACE IN THE FACE OF DESPERATION:
I luckily found a part time adjunct teaching job after 3 months of searching to restore some of my confidence and keep me somewhat afloat. I luckily had friends and family that would let me couch surf until I landed a full time job and could save some cash to afford an apartment. So many do not have the graces I had/have. I count my blessings everyday!

When I first started my job search, I lacked focus, organization and any defined strategy. Chaos was my strategy. I was confused and at times inconsolable due to my frantic efforts with no result. I never had had to work so hard in order to find employment!

At one point I was called to interview for a job I had no recollection of applying for. I knew I had to get it together and treat my job search, like I would conduct my self in a real life job!

Ironically I had always been an extremely organized and efficient record keeper. I had been shaken out of my comfortable world of gainful employment and been thrown into unfamiliar seas with a chance of drowning.

I knew I had to develop an efficient strategy and put my game face on in order to restore some sense of order and sanity back into my life.

After six months I had become organized. I had files and I had a system.

PHASE ONE: Chaos!

PHASE TWO: What do I want? What are my skills? What are my goals?
  • I had done some soul searching and thought seriously about my future: what I wanted, where I saw myself in 5 years, what kind of organization I wanted to work for and would allow me the room to grow professionally; what my real skills, strengths, natural abilities were. Through this process I clarified my goals; my job search became focused and my skills as a job seeker improved greatly

PHASE THREE: Strategy?

  • I developed multiple resumes: I had been both an educator and a program director and wanted a job that allowed opportunity to do both.


  • I wrote and adapted versions of resumes and cover letters to address specific job postings I wanted to be considered for.

  • I created a log, rank and file system.

PHASE FOUR: Tactical Refinements

  • I methodically narrowed my searches to the type of work for which I had marketable skills in and also had a true desire to work in. I left alone work where I had some experience and skill in, but no real solid desire or foundation in.


  • I became more efficient by creating files for each of the documents that I was often asked to submit: official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a list of references, copies of diplomas and certificates, supplemental applications, etc...


  • I kept files on all the jobs I applied to and organized them by date and institution.


  • I kept a log with dates, job titles, application submissions, deadlines, phone and e-mail contacts, etc...


  • I began to talk to everyone I knew about leads, my desires, skills and background.
FOOTNOTE ;~)

  • I became a better writer. I became more patient. I became more determined. I was humbled, but calm. I became more organized and efficient. My guerrilla job search had become a sort of meditation.


  • THE RESULT:


    After 9 months I landed a full time job. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but would lead me in the right direction. It was a management job with teaching possibilities at a small private school. I also continued to work part time as an instructor at night and with both jobs, was able to save enough money to get my own place again. I continued my guerrilla job search and eventually after a year I found the job I truly wanted: managing a campus wide program at a community college.

    Through this long (almost 2 years) process I learned invaluable lessons that have had a lasting effect and it has informed my vocation with insider knowledge and true empathy for those I serve.